I would first like to comment that I am not seeking to produce a comprehensive biblical theology of “wealth and riches.” I will not reference every verse that I possibly could and I will not address every passage that I possibly could. My goal is not to write a book but to make a few comments. I would suggest that you read an article on “wealth” in the Baker Evangelical Dictionary of Biblical Theology for a more comprehensive discussion. This is a great tool that you can use to do a quick biblical theology on any subject you like. You can also find resources on "money" from Desiring God.
The question is, “Does God want YOU to be rich?” It is important first of all to see that this is a question concerning God’s will, namely, God’s particular will for your life. Second, what does it mean to be “RICH?” Does riches refer to money or is it possible that there can be riches that we can possess that have nothing to do with money? The way to a sure and solid answer would be to reference everything that God says about money, riches, and wealth, and then to evaluate all of the evidence to come to a conclusion. Another thought: my name is no where in the Bible. No where does it say, “Thus sayeth the Lord, ‘Jon Chasteen, I want you to be rich.’” So there is a broader question that needs to be addressed which is, “How do I know what God wants for MY life?” As an evangelical, I affirm that the Bible is the supreme authority by which all other authorities (experience, tradition, reason, etc.) must bow to. So, it is the word of God that gives direction to what God wants for my life.
Here are just a few thoughts from God’s word: “Do not lay up treasure for yourselves on earth…but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven” (Matt. 6:19-21). In the explanation of the parable of the sower Jesus says, “As for what was sown among thorns, this is the one who hears the word, but the cares of the world and the deceitfulness of riches choke the word and it proves unfruitful” (Matt. 13:22). Riches deceive people into thinking that joy and happiness is tied up with their monetary attainment. Therefore, their joy is dependent on their riches. The prosperity gospel is NO GOSPEL. I am a sinner and I need a savior but the prosperity gospel removes the atoning work of Christ on the cross. The prosperity gospel confuses what our real needs are. If I have Christ, I don’t need money or wealth. If I have Christ, I have everything. The prosperity gospel leads many to hell because it leads people to think they have found life and the blessing of God in riches and many will die rich sinners and lose EVERYTHING. Why settle for less when God has offered us never-ending joy in Jesus Christ. There is really a flaw in many who ask, “Does God want me to be rich?” I would challenge them first of all to ask, “God, what do you want from my life?” His response is going to be, “Love me, and love your neighbor.” In other words, “Worship me! Make me your treasure.”
The point is, whether you are rich or poor, God can be your treasure. This gospel, this good news that Christ offers us is incredibly rich. Read through Ephesians and see how Paul uses the term “riches” throughout this letter (1:7, 18; 2:7; 3:8, 16). He is writing to the church at Ephesus, a place which was known as the economic center of that area and he is telling them about the riches in Christ. Moses considered the reproach of Christ great riches that the treasures of Egypt (Heb. 11:26). Paul, who was a godly man was definitely not rich. He said, “...as having nothing, yet possessing everything” (2 Cor. 6:3-10; see also 2 Cor. 11:23-29; 1 Cor. 4:8-13). There are many warnings against the collection of monetary wealth and riches (1 Tim. 6:10; James 5:1-6). You will also find places in the OT where wealth was a blessing from the Lord. I will affirm this, wealth can be a blessing but it can also be a curse.
In coming back to the question, “Does God want me to be rich” I’ll make some final remarks. Jesus told the rich young man, “You lack one thing: go, sell all that you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come follow me” (Mark 10:21). If it was God’s will for us all to be rich, why is Jesus (God) telling this young man to sell everything for TREASURE IN HEAVEN. He earlier said, “For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world and forfeit his life? (Mark 8:36). God wants us all to be rich with the inheritance that he has for us in heaven.
What is rich? Compared to the rest of the world, every single one of us is rich. Look at our cars, homes, clothes, shoes, etc. If God wants us all to be rich, then are we then in SIN if we aren’t rich? What does this say about the rest of the world? This could easily lead someone to believe that because they are rich they have the blessing of God on their life and they could be on there way to hell separated from God forever. God is more concerned that HE is your treasure than that you have treasures on earth. If HE is your treasure, no matter what happens on earth, you can always be satisfied because he is CONSTANT and ALWAYS THERE. Do not hope in riches, but in a God who is extremely rich and who will never leave you or forsake you. Why settle for less? “Seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you” (Matt. 6:33). I close with the famous Jim Eliott quote, “He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.”
Thursday, September 14, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment